You are invited to a Beneficiary Town Hall Meeting!
As a part of the Maui Beneficiary Ho`oui Project sponsored by Pa’upena CDC, we will be hosting several town hall meetings next week. You are invited to attend any of these meeting.
Leali`i Homestead Area 1: Monday July 26, 2021 – 5:00pm-7:00pm
West Maui Meeting 2: Tuesday July 27, 2021 – 5:00pm-7:00pm
Waiehu Kou Meeting 3: Wednesday July 28, 2021– 5:00pm-7:00pm
At Large, All Other Homestead: Thursday July 29, 2021– 5:00pm-7:00pm
Our goal is to try to better understand the experiences of beneficiaries (you) and gather input about ways in which the Hawaiian homelands leasing and management process could work better in the future. The ideas shared by you and other beneficiaries in these sessions will be included in a final product that will serve as a tool for homestead associations and native Hawaiian leaders to more effectively engage with elected officials and DHHL. This project hopes to ultimately develop a productive partnership that enables homestead associations to help DHHL properly implement the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, develop a process that respects beneficiaries’ desire to be fully informed and appropriately engaged, and, as a result, enables more native Hawaiian to create thriving homes, farms, and businesses on their homelands.
The discussion will focus on the following topics:
1. Experience on waitlist
2. Selection process and/or receiving awarded lot
3. Purchasing turnkey homes or building home on lot
4. Participation in planning efforts for new homesteads
5. Resources available to lessees
6. Leasing of homelands to non-beneficiaries
7. Visions for overhauling implementation of Hawaiian Homes Commission Act
Throughout the discussion, we will ask participants to consider the following questions:
– What was the purpose/intent of the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act?
– Has that intent or purpose been filled?
– If not, what went wrong and most importantly, how would you fix it?
– What has worked?
Click on the Zoom link below & Join
Meeting ID: 897 3562 2624 | Passcode: 950965
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbZ0T5ncOL